This is an Australian skilled visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. This visa is the most advantageous visa out of the skilled migration visa categories.
Processing times for the visa varies from time to time and the Department regularly announces the average time for processing the applications.
To be eligible to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, applicants must:
· Have an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is in the relevant Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
· Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited to apply
- Satisfy the points test - (Score the pass mark in the skilled migration points test - currently 65)
· Be below 45 years of age when you are invited to apply
· Have Competent English or higher
Applicants can include their family members in the application and the family members who can be included are;
· Spouses, de facto partners and same-sex partners
· Dependent children
· Other dependent family members – (ex; parents who live with you and are financially dependent )
Partners and dependent children can be included after the lodgement of the application and the other dependent family members must be included at lodgement.
With this visa you can
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Can live and work anywhere in Australia
- Enroll in Australia's public health care scheme
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
· Travel to and from Australia for 5 years (After 5 years you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa (subclass 155 or 157) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
- If eligible, become an Australian citizen
Skills assessments for this visa process may differ depending on the assessing authority and for further information on the assessment process can be obtained by writing to us or contacting one of our offices.
Australia (Melbourne Office) +61422003431
Sri Lanka (Colombo Office) +94 114329320 / +94775545466