Student Visas

Student Visa Subclass 500


At TAE Consultants (Sri Lanka) and Trans Aus Migration (Aus), every year, we arrange large number of student visas for Sri Lankan students (off shore) and for foreign students of all nationalities who are in Australia (on shore).  The applying for student visa is a very involved process and has to be planned well in advance. It will affect your future career, life style, employability in your own country after completing studies in Australia and the pathways available for migration to a country like Australia, and numerous other factors.  As experienced education consultants, we make sure your entire spectrum of needs is carefully taken into account when we handle your student application to an Australian or any other study destination. We provide professional guidance from the beginning to the end to make the process smooth and seamless for you.


How to obtain an Australian Student Visa

In order to study in Australia, you will need to obtain an Australian student visa. Australian student visas were previously allocated several subclasses in the 500 series depending on the study level.  However, on 1 July 2016 this was simplified to a single subclass 500 for all international students with an additional subclass called subclass 590 for the student guardian visa.

In order to be successful in your student visa, you must be able to prove to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) that you meet the following key student visa requirements:


•           Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

•           Financial requirements

•           English proficiency requirements

•           Health and character requirements


What is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?

Introduced in November 2011, the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement states that the visa applicant must be able to demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study, or to accompany a student as a dependent (i.e. spouse or child) or as a guardian. The decision makers at the DIBP will consider the following factors:

•           The circumstances in your home country

•           The potential circumstances for you in Australia

•           The value of your chosen course to your future

•           Your immigration history

•           Any other relevant matters



Before applying for a visa, you will need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or a Letter of Offer from your education institution, confirming that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS). You also need to pay a deposit (1st Semester fee) towards your tuition fees.

Students may also package their studies by studying two or more courses on their Student Visa (Subclass 500), where there is clear progression from one course to another.


Australian student visa requirements

•           Financial requirements:

 You need to have adequate amount of funds that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia. Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs.


•           English proficiency requirement

If you’re not from an English-speaking country (and haven’t completed at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country) you’ll need to prove you can speak English to the required level. If you do not have such a background, you should obtain sufficient grades specified by The DIBP and the intended educational institution in one of the following tests in one sitting

o          IELTS

o          Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic

o          Cambridge Advanced English (CAE).


 The score you will need will depend on whether you are starting a full degree, doing a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS). Student visa applicants can apply to study in ELICOS in Australia. There is flexibility to extend the length of ELICOS where it is needed. This will be determined on a case by case basis.


•           Health requirements

Students must meet the health requirements. You might need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process. If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department. The cost of this health insurance cover will vary depending on the provider and how long you purchase cover for. The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. We at TAE Consultants will guide you about the place and the tests involved once we undertake to loge your visa.

Further, you must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance. At TAE Consultants, we will orgnise and obtain the OSHC cover on your behalf.

•           Character requirements

 Australian student visa requirements stipulate that you must be of good character to enter Australia. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you don’t have a substantial criminal record. Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements.


Other things you should know about the Student Visa


•           Family members applying to join you

You and your family members can make a combined application or they can apply to join you later provided you declared them in your student visa application or they became a family member after the grant of your student visa e.g. a new child was born to your family after the student visa was granted. You must have funds to support yourself and all accompanying family members already in Australia as well as those included in the current application.

There are number of documents that are required by DIBP as well as the education provider.  There are also further documents that are applicable to your individual circumstances.  We will carefully guide you on these critical documents that may be applicable to your individual circumstances.


•           How long does the visa process take?

Visa processing times vary but you should allow up to four to eight weeks. Where possible we recommend applying for your visa as soon as receiving your CoE.


•           Important conditions

Within seven days of arrival to Australia, you must inform your education provider of your resident address, and also inform them within seven days if you change address.

While on a student visa, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time, and full-time in the holidays. The visa is automatically issued with permission to work, although you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started.


•           Student Visa rights and obligations?

Student visa is the most common type of visa if your main goal is to come to Australia to study.

There are several further conditions of Student Visa, and they may vary, but the main ones are:

•           You must remain enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course

•           You must maintain good attendance and academic progress at your Institution.

•           You must have health insurance during your stay in Australia.(OSHC)

•           You can include dependents under your visa – partner and children – they are allowed to study for up to 3 months (partner) and work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight. You will need to prove your relationship with the dependents if you wish to include them under your visa. Children of school age (from 5 years old) are required to maintain their studies.


•           How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. This time can range from one to three months, depending on the length of your course and the month in which it ends.


•           After completion of your studies

At Trans Aus Migration’s head office in Melbourne, we provide whole suite of further visa options if you are eligible for such options.  As per Migration Regulations, all international students studying in Australia for a specified minimum time are entitled to apply for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).  This visa that you become entitled after completing your studies has two sub-streams which allow you to work full-time for a limited period. The Graduate work stream is valid for 18 months and it requires a qualification in one of the fields from the Skilled Occupation List. The Post-Study Stream gives you full rights for a maximum of four years, depending on your approved qualification level.

For further details please do not hesitate to contact us. We will provide all assistance and guidance for you to commence your education in Australia.

Contact Us

  • Address: Trans Aus Migration ,
    48 Lake View Boulevard ,Keysborough VIC 3173 Australia.

  • Phone: +61 422 003 431 / +61 9116 6111

  • Whatspp: +61 422 003 431

  • Viber: +61 422 003 431

  • Sri Lanka Office : TAEC,
    No 76/2/1 Thimbirigasyaya Road, Colombo 05.

  • Phone: +94114329320

  • Email:

Follow Us